A couple weeks ago my brother and his girlfriend came back from a local apple farm and brought my mom and I some fresh apple cider and apple cider donuts. Apparently they had to fight off some people for the donuts. They were amazing and I probably would’ve fought some people off too! Super sugary + sweet – but oh so good. I set out to create a ‘healthier’ alternative without the use of refined sugar and they ended up tasting amazing. The recipe for the apple cider donuts is below and they are not only refined sugar free but also gluten free.
Apple Cider Donut Recipe
3 cups almond flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 maple syrup
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup shredded apple
3/4 cups apple cider
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup crushed walnuts *optional
How to make:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix together wet ingredients in bowl: maple syrup, vanilla, eggs, apple cider
3. Slowly add dry ingredients: salt, almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg + shredded apples
4. Mix all together, folding the dry ingredients in
5. If needed, add additional flour (you want the batter to be a little firm and not liquidy)
6. Using a donut pan, spray pan with non-stick spray and add the batter.
7. Place in oven for 10-12mins. (depending on oven). Check to see if they are ready by using a toothpick or fork and gently poking a hole inside. If it’s clean, they you’re good!
8. Take out of oven and place on cooling rack
9. If you want, you can sprinkle some brown sugar on top of the donuts for added sweetness.
LEAVE A COMMENT! What did you think of the recipe? Love it?